Volunteers are an integral part of the team at Billabong Sanctuary and we welcome volunteers from all walks of life.
We have volunteer opportunities available in a range of areas, from assisting our Rangers with their day-to-day work, to keeping our grounds in good shape and providing educational opportunities and resources.
OUR VOLUNTEER PROGRAMS
Here at Billabong Sanctuary we have two types of volunteer programs available: Placements and Continuing.
The Placement Program is for a set period of time, for those seeking to complete a university or TAFE placement, international visitors who have time to spare and would like to get an authentic Australian experience or school leavers wishing to gain some industry experience.
The Continuing Program is an ongoing arrangement. This is ideal for those living locally and provides opportunities for the development of advanced and specialist skills as part of our volunteer training program.
WHAT DO OUR VOLUNTEERS DO?
Volunteers generally undertake the following activities, depending on skills and experience:
- Prepare enclosures and the grounds for daily visitors. This includes raking, cleaning, feeding and of course, picking up poo!
- Prepare food for animals (including carnivores)
- Assist Rangers in presenting the daily wildlife talks and facilitating animal interactions
- Help maintain the grounds and enclosures
- Assist Rangers when they weigh our animals and perform health checks
- Assist Rangers with tour groups
- Other specialized activities, such as preparing educational material, gardening, construction and visitor assistance.
Please note that a lot of the work does not involve direct contact with animals, but rather is focussed on cleaning, maintenance and food preparation.
Volunteers receive on the job training for all tasks and their responsibilities evolve as they gain more experience.
Volunteers are normally expected to work 7:30am to 2:30pm, and in all weather conditions such as heat and rain unless notified otherwise.
AM I ELIGIBLE TO VOLUNTEER?
To be eligible to volunteer at Billabong Sanctuary you must be:
- 18 years old or over
- able to find your own transport to and from Billabong Sanctuary (it is about 20km south of central Townsville)
- available to work at the agreed times and days, regardless of weather conditions
- physically capable of performing the tasks for which you volunteer
- willing to listen to and follow instructions
- polite, well-presented and able to interact appropriately with our visitors
- able to provide a contribution of $30 in cash for your t-shirt and cap, after your trial day (does not apply for formally arranged placements for University or TAFE)
HOW DO I APPLY?
The first step in applying to volunteer is to complete the online Expression of Interest form (click HERE). Following receipt of the form, our Volunteer Coordinator will get in touch to arrange an interview, normally on site. This may take a week or two, so please be patient.
The interview usually lasts about 15 minutes and allows us to explain what we expect from you, what you can expect from us and to answer any questions you may have. We’ll then determine a day on which you start, which will be your trial day.
If your trial day is successful, you will be asked to pay the $30 cash contribution and you will be given your Billabong Sanctuary volunteer t-shirt and cap. You will also be asked to complete a Volunteer Registration Form, so we have all of your important details.
Once you have completed your trial day you will also be required to download and read the Volunteer Manual (see below)
ANY MORE QUESTIONS?
Please refer to the FAQ page available HERE
The Volunteer Manual is required reading for all volunteers and is available for download HERE
GET IN CONTACT WITH US
If you have a question that has not been answered above or need to get in contact with us about volunteering please email email@example.com, attention Volunteer Coordinator or call us on (07) 4778 8344