The news you’ve all been waiting for!
Billabong Sanctuary is reopening on Saturday 27th June in time for the school holidays.
Queensland Health have approved the COVID-19 Safe Industry Plan for Wildlife Parks. The Industry Plan allows 1 person per 4 square metres. As we are spread over 10 hectares (25 acres) of beautiful parkland we will not have to restrict visitor numbers.
We’re excited to welcome you back to Billabong, but before you get here, there’s a few things you need to know in advance to ensure everyone has a happy and healthy visit.
As an outdoor venue with plenty of open space and fresh air, Billabong Sanctuary provides a low risk environment to enjoy with your family and friends. The safety of our visitors, our staff and our animals remains our top priority.
You can pre-book entry tickets online on our website. Please bring the printed confirmation email with you. Walk-ins are welcome.Every visitors group will need to complete a COVID-19 Contact Details Form. To save time, this can be downloaded, printed and completed before your visit. Contact Details form, however, will be available in our carpark.
We’ll be open from 9 am till 4 pm during the holidays. This may change after the holidays. Plan your visit and book ahead.
Food, beverage and souvenir purchases will be cashless and accepting contactless payments only. Blinky Bill’s Café will offer a limited menu, or bring an esky and take advantage of our free gas barbecues. Enjoy your meal in one of the many shaded picnic areas, at tables spaced 4 metres apart.
Following are further measures we have put in place for enhanced hygiene and social distancing:
- Signage in the Shop and throughout the park to remind guests and family groups to stay 1.5 metres apart
- Hand sanitisers at entry, registers and throughout the park
- Regular cleaning of all points of contact throughout the day
- All of our animals will be on display so you can renew acquaintances with your favourites. The animals and Billabong staff have been missing you!
However, no wildlife shows or animal interactions will take place while social distancing regulations are in effect
- Instead, we will have roving rangers walking around the park to greet you with different animals, including some new faces and yes, the dingoes will be walked as usual.
- Koala Crescent will be open at set times throughout the day allowing guests to take selfies next to a koala. There is a strict “no touching” policy with staff supervision of social distancing.
- Limited numbers allowed in Kangaroo Corral, Macropod Corral and Pademelon enclosure at any one time
- Café staff have completed the Covid Safe mandatory training required by Qld Health
- We remind you not to handle souvenirs unnecessarily, and to supervise children at all times
- In the interest of public safety, our pool will be closed.
We would like to thank you for your messages of support on social media which have buoyed us up through the difficult months of closure.
It has reinforced to us just how important Billabong Sanctuary is to our community – not just as a tourist attraction but as a place that the locals consider to be their very own wildlife park.
We can’t wait to share this very special place with you again.